Part of what makes hacking a 21st century notebook so much fun is the variety of materials you can use to illuminate your thinking and engineer your ideas. Here are some of the materials we've been using and where we get them from.
A note on sources: These are listed in no particular order, although the first source listed is where we generally get that item. Make sure to check out a product's dimensions/length/quantity when comparing prices!
We work with our partner Lectrokit where you can order materials for the Hack Your Notebook Series.
Hack Your Notebook
Getting started with paper circuitry and the STEM and STEAM-learning opportunities these materials offer? We've organized two collections -- introductory and advanced -- one for Books 1 & 2, LEDs and Pop-up, and one for Books 3 & 4, Microcontrollers and MicroServos.
Try out the materials with teaching peers and program leaders with the starter collection.
- LEDs & Pop-up - Illuminate Your Thinking / Engineer Your Materials - teacher starter kit / classroom edition
- Microcontrollers & MicroServo - Program Your Pages / Automate Your Ideas - teacher starter kit / classroom edition
SOURCES AND SUPPLIES
Power Supplies & Housing
- 3V coin battery - Buy online in bulk for best prices (Amazon, Cheap Batteries)
- 3V coin battery holders (Adafuit, SparkFun, Jameco)
- 3V batteries with Solderable tabs (Digikey)
- Binder clips (Amazon)
Conductive Materials for Traces and Jumpers
- Copper tape with conductive adhesive backing - Available in multiple widths (Amazon, Adafruit)
- Conductive thread (Jameco, Adafruit, SparkFun)
- Conductive fabric (Amazon, Adafruit, SparkFun)
- Alligator test leads - for quick prototyping, no breadboard required (SparkFun, Adafruit, Amazon, Jameco)
- Alligator clips (Amazon, Jameco, SparkFun)
Things to Activate with Power
- Circuit stickers (Chibitronics)
- Surface mounted (SMD) LEDs - type 1206 or at least 3mm long. (Jameco, SparkFun)
- Amtel ATtiny85 microcontrollers (Jameco, Sparkfun, DigiKey)
- Mini photo cell (Adafruit)
- Soldering station & iron - Weller is a well-respected manufacturer
- Tweezers - Useful for soldering small components like SMD LEDs
- Tiny AVR Programmer (SparkFun) - For programming ATtiny microprocessors
- Transparent tape