Part of what makes hacking a 21st century notebook so much fun is the variety of materials you can use to illuminate your thinking and engineer your ideas. Here are some of the materials we've been using and where we get them from.
A note on sources: These are listed in no particular order, although the first source listed is where we generally get that item. Make sure to check out a product's dimensions/length/quantity when comparing prices!
We work with our partner Lectrokit where you can order a starter kit.
We're working with CV2/Lectrokit to offer supporting kit supplies in two flavors:
- a Brown-Bag Starter Kit for five people, designed for program staff and educators who want to together to explore paper circuitry
- a Classroom Kit for 30 participants with the same materials
These collections use 3v Lithium batteries with solderable tabs -- they're low-profile, letting you integrated the battery easily on your paper project -- and if your want to solder them in place, no problem.
Each kit comes with clip leads, batteries, circuit stickers from Chibitronics and a roll of copper tape.
Sources & Supplies
Pre-assembled Kits - buy here
- Brown Bag Starter - Intro (5 learners)
- Brown Bag Starter - Advanced (5 learners)
- Beginner Classroom Kit - Exploration in Light and Electricity (30 learners)
- Intermediate Classroom Kit - Designing with Light (30 learners)
- Advanced Classroom Kit - Interactivity and Coding (30 learners)
- Program Your Pages - Starter (5 learners)
- Program Your Pages - Classroom (30 learners)
Power Supplies & Housing
- 3V coin battery - Buy online in bulk for best prices (Amazon, Cheap Batteries)
- 3V coin battery holders (Adafuit, SparkFun, Jameco)
- 3V batteries with Solderable tabs (Digikey)
- Binder clips (Amazon)
Conductive Materials for Traces and Jumpers
- Copper tape with conductive adhesive backing - Available in multiple widths (Amazon, Adafruit)
- Conductive thread (Jameco, Adafruit, SparkFun)
- Conductive fabric (Amazon, Adafruit, SparkFun)
- Alligator test leads - for quick prototyping, no breadboard required (SparkFun, Adafruit, Amazon, Jameco)
- Alligator clips (Amazon, Jameco, SparkFun)
Things to Activate with Power
- Circuit stickers (Chibitronics)
- Surface mounted (SMD) LEDs - type 1206 or at least 3mm long. (Jameco, SparkFun)
- Amtel ATtiny85 microcontrollers (Jameco, Sparkfun, DigiKey)
- Mini photo cell (Adafruit)
- Soldering station & iron - Weller is a well-respected manufacturer
- Tweezers - Useful for soldering small components like SMD LEDs
- Tiny AVR Programmer (SparkFun) - For programming ATtiny microprocessors
- Transparent tape